Online Dating Statistics
- In the United States, 40 million people use online dating services, equating to 40% of the single adult population.
- The US Census Bureau estimates that 44% of the adult population is single.
- The Institute of Human Understanding estimates 74% of the adult population has either tried or knows of someone who has tried online dating or an app.
- According to MBAPrograms.org the online dating industry has gone from a $900 million industry in 2007 to a $1.9 billion industry in 2012 and in 2017 IBIS World reported total revenue was up to 2.7 billion.
- Mobile dating sites have grown 576% in the last year.
- One in five relationships start online, according to Match.com
- It’s a bigger industry than porn.
Dating Sites and Apps Quick Hitting Information
- Match.com has over 20,000,000 users
- Match has a 49% to 51% men-to-women ratio
- PlentyOfFish.com has over 135,000,000 monthly visitors
- Tinder recently became the top app on iTunes
- Bumble is the only site that allows the woman as the only one to initiate messages
Public Vs. Private Profiles
There is no debating, everything has gone online. With the simplicity of dating sites and apps, the growth is expected to continue at a rapid pace. With that being said, privacy is as important now as ever. The biggest concern about online dating is the accessibility a stranger can have to view your profile (or someone you do not want to see it). It can be as simple as searching the site or entering your name into a popular search engine such as Google, Bing, Duck Duck Go or Yahoo!
Changing your privacy settings is very important for your online privacy and protection. Be sure to take all of this information into consideration with any personal information shared, photos uploaded and communication.