You must determine if you are trying to have or want change. If you don’t try or want change, you can not expect to see change. If you do want to change for the better, it must be a focus of yours. NLP provides the tools with widely accepted philosophies and strategies. If your are looking for the tools to change for the better NLP is great. If you are looking to not change, you most certainly can do that as well.
This excerpt is taken from Richard Bandler and John Grinders classic book, Frogs into Princes:
“You guys are stereotyping a lot of people.”
“Of course we are. Words do that; that’s what words are for. Words generalize experience But you only need to be offended if they apply to you directly.”
Neuro-Linguistic Programming, also called NLP, was founded by linguist Dr. John Grinder and physicist Dr. Richard Bandler. Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) is a behavioral technology, which simply means that it is a set of guiding principles, attitudes, and techniques about real-life behavior, and not a removed, scientific theorem.
- Neuro: Reality is processed by our five senses and nervous system into experience.
- Linguistic: Our experience is coded, organized and given meaning by language and non-verbal communication systems.
- Programming: Discovering, using and changing our behavior, language and non-verbal communication systems to achieve desired outcomes or directions.
NLP identified connections between the neurological process (neuro), language use (linguistic) and behavioral outputs learned through experience (programming). This connection has been studied and utilized by many once organized to achieve specific results. Well known individuals that have utilized NLP are Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Nelson Mandela, Princess Diana, Paul McKenna, Mikhail Gorbachev, Mother Teresa, Andre Agassi,Margaret Thatcher and Tony Robbins to highlight a few.
This is in addition to many Fortune 500 companies, the United States Military, Major League Baseball players, National Football League Players, Olympic athletes, musicians and actors all have utilized NLP to increase their quality of life and work.
- The ability to change the process by which we experience reality is more often valuable than changing the content of our experience of reality. (Your interpretation of an experience determines your experience.)
- The meaning of the communication is the response you get. (The only outcome as to the meaning of a communication is the response it warrants.)
- All distinctions human beings are able to make concerning our environment at our behavior can be usefully represented through the visual, auditory, kinesthetic, olfactory and gustatory senses.
- The resources an individual needs to effect a change are already within them. (We determine our mind set.)
- The map is not the territory.
- The positive worth of the individual is held contact, while the value and appropriativeness of internal and/or external behavior is questioned.
- There is a positive intention motivating every behavior; and a context in which every behavior has value.
- Feedback vs. Failure – All results and behaviors are achievements, whether they are desired outcomes for a given task/context or not. 
 The Society of NLP 1994 John La Valle and Richard Bandler